Saturday, June 7, 2008

Architecture 101: compare and contrast

This is one of the new buildings designed by world-class architects that Beijing has invested in. It is the National Theatre. It's quite controversial. Ya love it or ya hate it. It is referred to as "the egg".
It's surrounded by a shallow pool, which stops before it actually touches the edge of the building. I think it looks pretty cool, but I have no idea how you get into the thing. Or how sustainable it is. Or, more importantly, how well it works as a theatre (architects are notoriously insensitive to matters of acoustics),

Darn it...it's the sideways gremlin again. This is the Temple of Heaven. Round top (heaven being round), square bottom (earth being symbolized by the square). It's in Temple of Heaven Park, which is huge.
Here is the "Long Corridor" and, indeed, it is.

This is how it looks from the other direction.

3 comments:

eli stern said...

Trying to blog Eli

eli stern said...

I got your last blog from June 15th. I just want to confirm that you have recieved my previous blog comments. Please let me know. I also have just created a blog account with google. I am still trying to learn how to use it. Can you provide me with any helpful information? As soon as I figure out how to use my blog I plan on blogging to you. Thank you. Eli

eli stern said...

As usual Cal. ' You got mail' Eli 062508W